Pages

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Tom Petty Retrospective: Follow-Up Discussion With Friend Steve

"Let us close our eyes to the culture -- and open them to our friends."  Daniel Berrigan | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

Dear Steve,

Thanks for your message.

You make good points. (I love the Berrigan quote!)

That said, Petty's death has hit me harder than any other deceased rock star with the (arguable) exception of John Lennon.

We know that Petty routinely "stuck it" to Big Money and refused to accept corporate sponsorship for ANY of his tours, just so his fans (whether or not "it" ever occurred to them) would not feel (even subconsciously) that his allegiance had been compromised by Fat Cats. That's HUGE and impossible to "fake" for pragmatic advantage.

Plus, there was always Petty's sassy rebellious streak -- embedded in an overarching disposition of hopefulness -- which, for me, made Tom unusually special.

I also admire the straight-ahead way he apologized for using the confederate flag, and told his followers point blank: "You're free to do what you want. But I don't want hurtful confederate nonsense at my concerts."

I could also offer a couple of criticisms but this is not the time.

Love

Alan

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 11:20 AM, SD wrote:


Hi, Alan -

Yeah I've been sad over this. I like that quote about Christians getting Jesus wrong!

I try not, and constantly fail, to think too much and feel too much about a musician or artist or person of renown like Petty because, while they are real people, our brothers and sisters, and on a few occasions some have been kind to me in my privileged life, they are away in their millionaire fame bubbles and I do not know them but their projections. This is not a criticism of your email! Just mentioning my stupid over admiration of celebrities.

"Let us close our eyes to the culture -- and open them to our friends." - Dan Berrigan

I hope you are thriving or at least enjoying some sun. You move to Oregon, you get to appreciate the value of the sun.


Peace,

Steve

Sent from my phone

On Oct 6, 2017, at 7:39 AM, Alan Archibald <alanarchibaldo@gmail.com> wrote:
 

 Learning To Fly | made w/ Imgflip meme maker
Learning To Fly
Music Video

Related image
Tom Petty Retrospective: Ten Great Songs

Related image

Tom Petty Dead At 66
Rolling Stone
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-rock-iconoclast-who-led-the-heartbreakers-dead-at-66-w506651

Image result for tom petty bob dylan
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers were Bob Dylan's band while touring the world in 1986.
Tom Petty's Obituary
New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/arts/music/tom-petty-dead.html

Image result for tom petty bob dylan

"No One’s Got Christ More Wrong Than The Christians"

Related image
"Tom Petty: Runnin' Down A Dream"
A Superb Four Hour Documentary
Streams On Netflix

Image result for tom petty
Tom Petty
Wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment